Just the Essentials - The Fashionably Broke
the fashionably broke, style blog, fashion, blogger, dc


Just the Essentials

I just live for comfortable basics lately. I think I just woke up one day and decided that I needed to be a better shopper. I realized the importance of versatility in your closet and not filling it with trendy, one-wear pieces. Everything needs to fill my "everyday" need, where fashion must meet function, with the exception of a few statement pieces here and there.

During the week, I'm mostly conformed to work attire, but on the weekends my style is set free. A typical day on the weekend for me involves (many) dog walks, going for a hike or a run, maybe a stop into the grocery store and then usually dinner or drinks with my boyfriend or friends. I'm pretty active during the day and then usually doing something social at night. And, knowing me, I'm probably cramming way too many things in to one day, leaving me not much time for outfit changes. Hence my recent obsession with comfortable basics; pieces that are stylish and work for both my active and social lifestyle. Athleta is a great store to find good quality basics and has always been a go-to of mine. I recently scoped out their new Spring Collection and everything is so fresh and modern for Summer, I love it all!

I just had to have the Aspire Ankle Pants. They are lightweight, which is perfect for activities during the day, and so versatile that when the evening rolls around I can just throw on some jewelry and go. They look so great with a light tee or tank tucked in to them. I think you'll find that a good pair of lightweight pants are necessary, even in the warmer months. A crew neck sweatshirt can also go a long way. I love this one tied around my waist for a cool, layered look. Plus, it really comes in handy in the freezer isle or in a cold restaurant. I always treat myself to at least one new bikini every summer, so I picked a bikini from the Athleta Aqualuxe line this year. I love the structured top and high-waisted bottom which are great for added coverage. All of my bikini's from my teeny-bikini wearing days usually end in a wardrobe malfunction these days. I feel ready to hit the beach or take a drive to the lake house for some paddle boarding at any minute. Lastly, my key accessories for this summer is coral jewelry, because it looks great next to a tan, tortoise sunglasses, because they go with just about everything, Birkenstock's and a neutral tote bag to tote it all around in. :) Shop more of my favorite Athleta pieces below!


This post was brought to you by Athleta, the premier fitness fashion brand for women.

May 20, 2014

1 comment: