How I Pack {& Don't Overpack} - The Fashionably Broke
the fashionably broke, style blog, fashion, blogger, dc


How I Pack {& Don't Overpack}

A couple weeks ago I had to pack for two, very different trips all at once - New York City and the Outer banks, North Carolina (the beach). Before you give me way too much credit, let me clarify that I didn't have to physically bring everything with me. I was lucky enough to have my ride pick me up from my first trip with my already packed bag, ready to go, for my second trip. Still, it was a small, personal victory for me.

To me, packing just feels like this huge commitment that I'm just not ready to make. How will I know what I feel like wearing next week today? But finally, mainly in the past year, I feel like I've gained some traction. I'm no master packer or anything but I've come a long way. Which maybe isn't saying much coming from the girl who used to bring practically every piece of clothing, jewelry, bathing suit and sandals she owned everywhere with her.

Fast forward to today and I'm a regular jet-setting fashionista and (more) practical packer. Gone are the days that I would bring a different pair of shoes for each outfit. During these last two trips, I made it through both with only 3 pairs (2 low heels and a pair of slide sandals). To maximize space, I now roll my clothes instead of fold them. I put things like jewelry, sunglasses and charges inside any bags that I pack. And, maybe most importantly, I'm not afraid to wear the same thing twice. I'm constantly re-purposing.

The biggest challenge when it comes to re-purposing and moving from place to place with the same luggage is something's always going to get wrinkly (if not everything does). The easiest solution - Bring a steamer. I've long gotten over the lost space because, to me, there's just no other way. Especially in the spring and summer when you're wearing fickle fabrics like silk and linen.

Having a steamer with me has become an essential. So, I've been rolling around with the new Rowenta Steam ‘N Press. It's only $29.99 and it's actually an iron and steamer in one. Use the iron to keep his (or your) collars and cuffs nicely pressed or quickly steam out any wrinkles from your silkiest dress. At just the right size for travel, it holds enough water to steam at least 5 pieces per refill. And it really doesn't take up a lot of space, I just wiggle it right in between my rolled clothes. Without a washer and dryer, a hot steam is sometimes the best refresh your clothing is going to get during a trip. It's my latest & favorite travel hack!

The Steam 'N Press is available online at Target or in stores (in the Laundry isle).

Special thanks to Rowenta for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own and I only share products I truly use and love with you!

Jul 25, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment